Friday, May 27, 2011

Happy Memorial Day

You’ve probably noticed that I do a lot of critical analysis on the economy, our lawmakers and the industry in this space. If I think something is working or not working, I’m never afraid to tell you about it. But I want to make one thing clear. I don’t speak up about the problems I see impacting us all because I’m filled with anger or hatred or want to see the entire system burned to the ground. I speak out because I love this country.

That’s a message I want to be sure to get across, especially on Memorial Day, when we give thanks and remember the sacrifices made by those who came before us.

So, let me make sure you heard me. I’m not saying that I kinda like living here and that it’s okay until I retire to an island somewhere, I’m telling you that I love America. I love raising my family here and running my business here. It may be outdated, but I still think America is the greatest country on Earth, and I want that to continue, for my children’s sake and my grandchildren’s as well.

So, when I see Americans and their politicians making bad decisions or making short term decisions for personal gain or decisions that benefit only their constituents, it concerns me. My analysis of the Founding Fathers was, regardless of how you interpret the Constitution or the Bill of Rights, these men believed that there was a moral foundation and a camaraderie and a sense of being one united nation under God that all Americans would share. And I know those words were written into the Pledge of Allegiance long after the Founding Fathers were dead, but they were written by someone who, like me, was still a believer in that dream.

And so on this holiday weekend (we’re celebrating Memorial Day in the States, a holiday that deserves it’s own post sometime), I’m not going to focus on what’s wrong in America, I’m going to direct my passion in a different direction. I’m going to go out with my beautiful wife and family and have a great time.

One of the things I love being able to do is collect, rebuild and show Hot Rods. Here’s one of my cars, and my wife Christine.

 

Enjoying classic cars is a uniquely American pass time and it’s just one more reason I love this country. If you also love America and living a full life outside of work, Friend me on Facebook. I hope you all have a great holiday weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment